Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Journey to South Asia...

Hello!  Wow, I can hardly believe how the last few weeks have flown by…it’s been an amazing few weeks of quality time spent with people I love (and already miss!). Thank you so much for your continued prayer support. I have certainly felt a peace that has only one source, and while I have enjoyed this time of connecting, I am really excited for what is ahead…

From May 31-June 6, I attended training week at International Justice Mission Headquarters in Washington, DC, which I thoroughly enjoyed! It was absolutely surreal to meet the staff at IJM and see firsthand not only their great vision but also their genuine humility. They are incredibly focused on the task at hand, and it was great to connect with other interns and fellows as well. I have never felt more convinced of the urgency of the work of justice, and I’m so grateful for the privilege of joining an organization dedicated to giving a voice to the voiceless. Gary Haugen, Founder and President of IJM, reminded us during our first day of training that we serve those suffering injustice out of thankful hearts, full of worship for what Christ has done for us. What a beautiful motivation.

I want to share with you about some other points of praise in this journey thus far…what an encouragement to see God already answering prayers!

·      Housing!  As many of you know, this has been a very specific concern for me having never lived alone here in the States, let alone in a completely new country… I am incredibly excited to report I will be taking over a lease to an apartment of an intern who will be leaving as I come.  Even better, another intern will be arriving at the same time, so God has also provided me with a roommate! Done and done.

·      Support! Between one time gifts and monthly support, I have reached my fundraising goal!  This is an incredible blessing, and I am so very humbled by your investment in the work of justice through both prayer and financial giving. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

·      Preparations! My heart has been encouraged in so many ways the past few weeks. Through answered prayers, quality time with family and friends, and time spent in prayer and reading Scripture, God continues to affirm His call for me to go and learn to do justice. As I’ve read through the book of Isaiah, I have been comforted in seeing God’s heart for justice and reminded that He loves those who are suffering far more than I do. I continue to stand in awe that He has allowed me to be a small part in His plan to bring justice, sent out by and with you.

Points of Prayer…

I depart for South Asia on Monday, June 8th and arrive in my city on June 10th, 2009. I would appreciate your prayers for all the traveling (safety, connections, luggage, etc) as well as initial adjustments to new everything!

Also, I ask for prayer for my heart… that God would protect it and make it strong as I say my goodbyes, as I enter a new culture and start a new job, as I encounter evil and seek to somehow be a help to those who have been made victims of it. I feel very aware of my inabilities to seek justice on my own. I continue to cling to the promise that “when I am weak, He is strong (2 Corinthians 12:10).” I don’t know when I last felt so incredibly weak, so I am looking forward to seeing God move!

I hope to be updating you regularly as I journey on… Please, please always feel free to pass along updates on YOU- prayer requests, general life happenings, awkward and ridiculous stories, etc. I’m really looking forward to keeping in touch!

 

love, ann

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dearest Ann,
Your love for the Lord and your dedication to serving the lost are an example of precisely what God wants from each of us. And you are LIVING it. You didn't know my husband, Dan, but he lived it, too, and he received his amazing reward...the exact reward he most desired...by leaving this earth, with all its brutality and injustice, and being with Jesus. I can only imagine the completeness of Dan's happiness right now.
I don't mean to imply that we have no joy on earth! Certainly, anyone who knows Jesus as savior has the potential to feel joy and contentment. But sometimes that doesn't seem like enough. The trials are too difficult. The hurdles are too tall to overcome. The finish line is too distant.
I pray for you from Jude 20:
But you, beloved, building yourself up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourself in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
Love in Christ, Susie